step by step configuration would be really useful

Using Hermes with BEA WebLogic

step by step configuration would be really useful

Postby robinsoa » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:52 am

This is going to be a really useful tool for us.

It would be even better if it provided step by step configuration instructions per provider, in our case WebLogic 8.1.
robinsoa

Steps to setup WebLogic 8.1

Postby schlosna » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:05 pm

Create Class Loader
* Go to Options menu > Configuration...
* Click on "Providers" tab at the bottom
* Right click and select "Add Group"
* Enter name "WebLogic 8.1"
* Click + to the left of "WebLogic 8.1" to expand
* Right click "Library" and select "Add JAR(s)"
* Browse to BEA_HOME/WebLogic81/server/lib/ and select the "WebLogic.jar" file.
* Click "Don't Scan" button.
* Click OK to close the Configuration screen.

Create Context
* Right click "contexts" on the left side and select New > New Context...
* Enter name for the context, such as "WebLogic"
* Set loader to "WebLogic 8.1"
* Set providerURL to "t3://<hostname>:<port>" (Where <hostname> and <port> are the hostname and port of the WebLogic server)
* Set initialContextFactory to "weblogic.jndi.WLInitialContextFactory"
* Set securityPrincipal to the WebLogic console user (Default is "system")
* Set securityCredentials * to password for the WebLogic console user (Default is "weblogic")
* Set binding to "QueueConnectionFactory"
* Click OK to close JNDI InitialContext

Create Session
* Double click the context that was just created (under "contexts" there will be "WebLogic")
* The JNDI tree should load on the right side.
* Browse to javax > jms > QueueConnectionFactory and select "QueueConnectionFactory".
* Right click QueueConnectionFactory and select "Create New Session..."
* Enter name for the session, such as "WebLogic"

Discover JMS Destinations
* Right click the session that was just created (under "sessions" there will be "WebLogic") and select "Discover..."
* Click "Yes" to refresh the destinations
* Click "Yes" to replace the current set of destinations

Browse Destination
* Double click on a JMS destination, such as "momex/WorkflowEventError/JMSQueue" to browse the Workflow Error Queue.
schlosna

Postby Colin » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:08 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the instructions!

It would be great if you (or anyone reading this) could take some time out to use http://www.debugmode.com/wink/ to create a Flash demo of what you've done so I can add to the website. They normally take me 30mins or so once I've got the provider installed, configured and running (normally the time consuming bit!)

You'll should also find Wink handy for your day job too, I find it very useful for submitting bug reports to and creating tutorials. It rox.

Regards,

Colin.
Colin
Site Admin

Secure WebLogic Connections

Postby esword » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:35 pm

For any who are interested, here's how you can connect to WebLogic using SSL:
  1. Ensure that SSL is activated in WebLogic to begin with using the regular admin console or by editing the config.xml file directly.
  2. Make sure you understand the basics of SSL - keys, certs, keystores, and truststores. The WebLogic SSL manual page on this is pretty good for those (like me) that hadn't done much with it before.
  3. Set two system properties telling the WebLogic client code what form of trust you will be using. Modify the batch/shell file to include these on the java invokation line
    Code: Select all
    -Dweblogic.security.TrustKeyStore=CustomTrust -Dweblogic.security.CustomTrustKeyStoreFileName=C:/dev/bea/weblogic81/server/lib/DemoTrust.jks

You would think that just using the standard "DemoTrust" rather than "CustomTrust" would work if the server is a dev server using the DemoTrust stores, but you end up getting an NPE during init. For regular, 1-way SSL, you don't have to specify a password to the trust store because you are just doing readonly access. For 2-way SSL... well, you're on your own. I actually don't know if you can do it without coding some special classes to set certain other properties.
  4. Unlike with the normal javax.net.ssl.* system property settings, you must add the directory containing the trust store and certificates to be used by the client to the classpath. I did it like this in the hermes.bat file
    set WL_HOME=C:\dev\bea
    set WL_SERVER_HOME=%WL_HOME%\weblogic81\server
    set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%WL_HOME%;%WL_SERVER_HOME%\lib

This assumes you are running on the same machine as the server. If not, you might have to fiddle a bit to get all the proper files in place. I honestly don't remember why I included both the root bea directory and the server\lib directory where the stores and certs are. I'll leave that as an exercise to the reader.
  5. In the context configuration dialog, providerURL should be of the form
    t3s://machinename:7002
    where 7002 is the standard SSL port. Change it if you have customized your SSL settings.

That should do it.

eric
esword

Return to BEA WebLogic